High-profile cyber attacks on companies such as Target have raised awareness of the growing threat of cyber crime. Recent surveys conducted by the U.S. Small Business Administration suggest that many small business owners are still operating under a false sense of cyber security based on their company’s size.
When it comes to cyber attacks, small does not equate with safe. In fact, a cyber attack could be even more detrimental to a small business than to a large corporation. The National Cyber Security Alliance reports that 60 percent of small and mid-sized businesses go out of business within six months of an attack.
According to Cybersecurity Ventures, costs related to ransomware demands and damages is estimated to reach $20 billion per year by 2021. Can your company afford the costs, loss of productivity, and public relations fallout associated with a cyber attack?
Even if you don’t currently have the resources to bring in an outside expert to test your computer systems and make security recommendations, you should take action to help reduce your risk of falling victim to a cyber attack.
- Train employees, emphasizing confidentiality and integrity.
- Install, use, and regularly update antivirus and antispyware software on all business computers and devices.
- Use a firewall for your internet connection to prevent unauthorized private network access.
- Download and install software updates for your operating systems and applications as available.
- Make frequent backup copies of important business data and information.
- Control physical access to your computers and network components based on need and job responsibilities.
- Secure your wi-fi networks and create a secondary connection for visitors.
- Require individual user accounts for each employee to eliminate sharing login information and unintentionally exposing access to uninvited users.
- Limit employee access to data and information and restrict authority to install software.
- Regularly change and securely store passwords.
AHERN Insurance Brokerage can help you develop cyber coverage and protocols to keep your business on track. Please contact us discuss your specific needs and concerns so we can update your cyber preparedness. You can also call (800) 282-9786 to speak with an AHERN Professional or complete this online application to receive a no-obligation quote for Cyber Liability insurance.
AHERN Insurance Brokerage is a proud agency partner of Acrisure, a top 10 global insurance broker. Our relationship with Acrisure allows us to provide our clients access to policies, resources, and expertise often outside the reach of stand-alone agencies. Along with competitive pricing, our service is backed by dedicated, local customer service.